Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The First 24 Hours....we survived!!

Well, I am happy to be writing this with a feeling of being somewhat well rested. This is after a good 2 hour nap that Scott and I were able to get this afternoon while Addison was getting tested for sitting in her car seat. Funny how much easier it was just to have one baby instead of two in the room and that was the time we got quality sleep. Caroline has to do the same test around midnight so that will be great timing for some more quality sleep with just Addison in the room.

Anyways, I still can't believe I have two beautiful and healthy daughters!! Yet, as the cliche goes, it feels like they have always been a part of my life. Scott and I are truly blessed!! We really don't deserve them but we will try our best to be the best parents we can and we already have so much love for them.

So yesterday morning at 6:30 we arrived at the hospital. It was a beautiful drive in as it was the first big snow of the season. The c-section went well. Before we knew it we had two beautiful baby girls (I was right!!). My doctor thinks that Addison and Caroline were in the same sac after all because when she broke the sac of Addison, Caroline's feet slipped out. Thank God there were no serious complications. I am kind of happy we did not know because it would have made the pregnancy more stressful and I would have been on hospital bedrest. No thanks to that!

They were born at 8:37am and 8:38am. Both kind of sounded like mice squeaking at first but we could definitely tell that their lungs were nice and developed :) Then they were off to the nursery for a couple hours and I was stitched up. Scott stayed with me and I was soon in the recovery room. Then the babies were with us around 11 and we were moved to the Mother and Baby unit an hour later.

Our first night was not too bad. Well, I didn't think it was too bad but I don't think Scott would agree with me. He did get more sleep than me last night I should add. I was told that because of their low birth weight that we should try to feed them every 2 hours so I was up for most the night feeding one or the other or trying to feed them at the same time which I found to be successful once or twice. That should change as I become better at nursing and they are better as well and bigger. There were a couple times I woke Scott up to help me with something and it took him a minute or two to realize where he was. He was a bit humorous at times being that sleep deprived. He did a good job though helping me with the babies and he has certainly changed some diapers now :) In fact, I have yet to change one!

Up until this morning I was on a Morphine drip that was controlled by me. That was great! I certainly did not feel the pain when I was on that. Slightly different story once I was off the morphine but the pain has been manageable. I got up for the first time this morning and I was happy to be able to do that pretty much on my own. I really have not needed much help moving around which has been great. I am able to get in and out of bed myself and I love that because it really allows me to be independent.

At this point we are hoping to go home tomorrow, Thursday. I think the only hold up could be the girls weight which I am hoping will be back up by tomorrow. Addison passed the car seat test and I expect Caroline to pass it as well since she is bigger. We are excited to get home mainly because no one has been able to meet these beauties yet due to strict visitation rules by this particular hospital. They are driven by the swine flu but personally, I find them ridiculous considering even the grandparents are not even allowed to meet them in the hospital. I understand the safety reasons but at least allow close family to meet them right away. However, to be honest, it has been kind of nice at the same time to have this time on our own as a new family and to allow me to recover however I need to without entertaining visitors. Also, I seem to be feeding one of the babies or trying most of the time so it is just easier to not have to entertain people. It just stinks that the Internet connection here is bad as well so I can't even post pictures!!! Arg...

Well, that concludes this quick update. Addison is getting fussy which will soon be followed by Caroline. Time to nurse but I will get pictures up quickly once we are home. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We have felt them and your love. We truly are blessed!!

3 comments:

Gwen said...

greta! i am so proud of you and what a great mom you are, although i'm not surprised :) i can't wait to see you and meet these little girls!

The Johnson Family said...

Greta, you are a true rock star mom, in every sense of the word. Just reading about the smooth delivery and your recovery and independence and you and Scott being super parents to these two little sweeties - so inspiring! Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting... you'll never be the same, in a good (GOOD) way! :)

Stacy Peterson said...

LOVE this post. Such a natural mother..I agree, no surprise. This what you were made for :) Scott might've never expected it, but he'll be a natural as well. You guys are great! I'm just so happy for you.

I MISS YOU SOOO MUCH right now!! Ick, I can't stand this. BUT will see you ALL soon!