Wednesday, November 11, 2009

33 Weeks...hopefully at least 2 more to go


This past Monday I had a regular check-up appt with my OB. I gained another 2 1/2 pounds (22 total pregnancy gain) and I am still measuring like I am 38 weeks pregnant with a single baby. There was no change from 2 weeks ago. More importantly, I have not dilated any more! So it is looking like making it to Thanksgiving is becoming more and more real. Cross your fingers!


I had an annoying experience after my Dr appt. I forgot that I was going to be starting weekly non-stress tests this week and because I have twins I have to do it in the labor and delivery unit. I knew it was going to be a bad experience when I was told I had to go to L & D because last time I did it I was there for 3 1/2 hours for a 20 minute test! They tend to forget about you if you are not in labor. I thought it could not be worse than my first experience but I was wrong. I got there just before 3, was checked in and someone took my vitals. All the test is, for those who have not done it, is basically monitoring me to see if I am having contractions and the 2 babies heartbeats for 20 to 30 minutes. So the person who took my vitals said that the nurse would be in to set up the monitoring. I made myself comfortable and waited...and waited...and waited.... To make it more boring, I didn't have anything to read (besides the manuals for our car seats and stroller) and of course the tv did not work. My phone also ran out of battery pretty quickly too. So after I had been there for 2 hours the nurse discovered me. Despite my attempts to be helped within those 2 hours the nurse didn't know I was there until one of the cleaning ladies, who saw me before, poked her head in there and told someone I was still there. Of course things could not just go smoothly from then on. There was a dip in one of the heart rates at one point during the test so an ultrasound was ordered to be safe. I then waited another 45 minutes for someone to transport me for the ultrasound. That took another 20 minutes and then I waited another 25 to go back to labor and delivery. I was discharged soon after that. When all was said and done, the babies are doing great and I was there from 3 to just before 9. Arg...and I get to do this every week!! Fortunately, they will be scheduled from now on so they should go more smoothly.

Yesterday I had my weekly ultrasound. This was my fetal assessment one that I get every 3 weeks. Baby A is 3 lbs, 6 oz and Baby B is 4 lbs, 10 oz. Now on Monday baby A was head down and baby B was breach. By the ultrasound, baby B was sideways again and his/her body went under A's. So baby A's measurements are accurate but B's are not because it was really hard to get a good picture of the belly and legs to get accurate numbers. There is now enough of a difference between the 2 that they have to be monitored more closely. So I will have a doppler reading where they test the blood flow from the umbilical cord for at least baby A every week and now I will have a fetal assessment done every other week instead of every 3 weeks. Based on those measurements, Baby A is 2 weeks behind in growth and baby B is right on.


At this point, I am really happy with how far I have been able to stay pregnant. My first goal was to make it to Thanksgiving and I am feeling more and more confident that we will make it! Not only do the babies need just a bit more time to develop their lungs but now baby A needs more time to put on more weight! So please pray that things continue to go well. At the most, I only have a month more to go which is really soon!!

2 comments:

Gwen said...

okay i just realized really how soon this is happening!!!! i am so excited and can't wait to meet these two little babies. TWO little babies, aahhh!!
so fun! can you tell i am excited :)

The Johnson Family said...

YEA! So excited for you guys... two people in the house becomes four SOON! :) Hang in there - we will keep praying for you to stay as rested as possible, for both babies to develop and mature as much as possible, and for Scott as he continues to support you and prepares to become a double daddy very soon! We really hope that we can maybe see you all at the end of December when we visit IL after Christmas.