Friday, September 25, 2009

26 Week Update



Scott was feeling left out so he also gets a picture

This past Wednesday marked my 26 week point in my pregnancy. Scott pointed out that we have only 11 more weeks to go at the most. That seems both as far away as can be and just around the corner. I have been feeling good other than being tired all the time but that seems to be the theme of this pregnancy. It is definitely getting harder to sleep but not necessarily for any particular reason.

Two weeks ago I had my first visit with my OB. It was good to ask her questions and to get a sense for how she handles a twin pregnancy/delivery. She prefers to deliver in an OR just in case of an emergency C-section but I can labor in one of the regular rooms so I don’t mind that so much. I will have to get an epidural which was something that I was hoping not to get but because they take 15 to 20 minutes to put in and if an emergency C-section is called they like to have the baby out in 5 minutes I can see why she wants me to do this. She said that I can have it on as low as a dosage as possible so I can move around still so I think it will be ok. Other than that I finally gained more weight. Total for the pregnancy is 10 pounds which is still on the lower end of a single pregnancy but I was just happy to know that I finally made some progress.

Last week I had another ultrasound but this time it was just to check the amniotic fluid for both of them. Everything looks good and this time they were even able to definitively say that they are in separate amniotic sacs…..yeah!!! So that is no longer a concern. Baby B continues to be slightly smaller so when I have my fetal development ultrasound next week I will be curious to see the stats.

This week was the routine glucose test. I got the results back last night from my OB and she said that I am not showing any signs for diabetes so that is great! Also, she mentioned that my blood count was in the normal range and that was “not common even for a single pregnancy let alone twins.” She said that meant that I am doing very well nutritionally which make me feel better about the weight gain or lack thereof. So it looks like I am having a very healthy pregnancy so far :)

Many people have asked Scott and I whether we think we are having boys or girls. My generally reply is girls and Scott’s is boys. I think I am officially changing my answer to boys. Like any mother-to-be, I have occasionally had dreams about when the babies are born. Sometimes the babies in my dreams have a gender and sometimes it is just not part of the dream so I don’t know what the gender is. I have now had 6 dreams that involved the babies having a gender and each time they have been boys. I think I thought we were having girls because I come from a family of mostly girls and we have 4 nieces but because of these dreams I now am changing my answer to boys. But we shall see…

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

I'm so jealous of your weight gain, or lack there of. I think I gained 10 pounds in the first 10 weeks! And I only had one baby!!! I think it's so fun that you're not finding out their gender. But as for dreams, all of mine were about girls. Hopefully Lars isn't keeping some big secret from me!!!!!